Department: Physical TherapySalary: $47,652.00 to CommensurateAdvertising Ends On: Applications are being accepted for consideration; however, the position may be filled at any time.Job Duties: Basic Function and Responsibility:
Provides clinical and managerial leadership in overseeing all aspects of the Occupational Therapy (OT), Physical Therapy (PT), and Speech departments at the Center for Disabilities and Development (CDD). This position manages fiscal resources, serves as liaison with hospital and community partners, leads performance improvement initiatives, participates in the strategic planning process, supervises OT/PT and Speech staff members and manages staff training, competency and performance.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversees daily operations of the CDD Occupational and Physical Therapy and Speech departments and related outreach activities; including coordinating patient flow and responding to patient and staff concerns. Assures performance excellence from all assigned resources.
• Increases or maintains staff productivity levels.
• Provides for effective and smooth operations during staff absences and personnel transitions.
• Coordinates work and services between departments and assists in the resolution of operating problems.
• Assures the clinical practice is of high quality and is provided according to established standards.
• Develops, maintains and revises departmental policies and procedures.
• Investigates and resolves problems encountered by patients, families and other customers.
2. Manages and supervises all aspects of CDD’s Occupational and Physical Therapy and Speech departments, including supervising staff performance.
• Leads timely and effective communications with assigned staff to maintain understanding and positive staff relations, especially regarding financial pressures, workplace process changes, and all program advancement initiatives.
• Demonstrates service leadership practice and cultivates service leaders among all assigned staff.
• Performs human resources functions including interviewing, selection, training, performance evaluation, salary determination, promotion and disciplinary action.
• Assures that assigned staff and trainees provide competent, effective patient care.
• Completes departmental orientation activities for new staff members and trainees.
• Continually assesses training needs of department staff and develops appropriate training strategies to meet needs.
• Trains therapists in new or revised work methods and procedures.
3. Leads departmental activities in support of management priorities, strategic plan, and performance improvement initiatives.
• Demonstrates clear responsibility for the CDD/Department evolving strategic and financial imperatives during all interactions with assigned staff and management peers.
• Provides long-range planning and establish annual working objectives.
• Participates in related research projects.
• Maintains effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, patients and families and the public.
• Develops or supports the development of new clinical and non-clinical programs, including establishing essential partnerships and other synergies that enhance program development success.
4. Manages fiscal resources/budget for department.
• Explores methods to reduce expenses, generate revenue and promote overall fiscal vitality.
• Works to achieve optimal efficiency and effectiveness of clinical services.
5. Provides clinical services within the context of interdisciplinary diagnostic and follow-up evaluations.
• Develops appropriate assessments and recommendations consistent with existing professional and organizational standards.
• Evaluates and treats complex conditions based upon the age and condition of patient.
• Completes patient reports, billing, and other related documentation according to guidelines and within specified timelines; assures this among assigned staff/trainees.
6. Assures compliance with regulatory and accrediting bodies.
• Determine compliance with accrediting organizations.
• Prepares assigned staff, processes, space and technology for successful JCAHO review and other assessment and review processes.
• Assures departmental services are in compliance with regulatory and accrediting bodies
7. Serves as training director for physical and occupational therapy professional students.
• Coordinates clinical education for physical therapy professional students.
8. Assures a safe, functional, supportive and effective environment for patients and assigned staff/trainees.
• Assures that all patient safety standards are met within OT/PT and Speech departments.
• Assures that staff are in compliance with all safety standards and procedures when operating equipment, working with patients and performing other duties.
9. Participates in CDD public relations and marketing activities.
10. Civil and Respectful Interactions
• Establishes and maintains standards of collaborative interaction among peers
and employees that is characterized by respect, honesty and service; assures
that all unit members are held to similar standards and ethics; constructively
11. Diversity and Inclusion
• Manages the talents, strengths and behaviors of each individual in a diverse
work group, while providing each employee with the opportunity to contribute to
the goals of the unit. Works to assure that all employees are respected and
treated consistent with University policies in regard to equal employment
opportunity and diversity.
13. Leadership Accountability
• Inspires and motivates others to high performance by exercising strong
stewardship of University resources, setting expectations, measuring success
through individual performance evaluations, and driving organizational results.
14. Learning and Professional Development
• Identifies opportunities for and creates development plans that encourage
employees to attend to the growth of their personal and professional capacity;
engages self and staff in collective reflection of the University’s greater role in
Applicant Credentials are Subject to VerificationBackground checks(criminal history, child/dependent adult sexual abuse) will be conducted on final candidates for all positions in UI Hospitals and Clinics. Background checks may also be conducted for other positions.