This position is split between Biology and Chemistry Technical Assistant duties for the Department of Biology & Chemistry and Physics Laboratory Technician duties for the Department of Mathematics & Physics.
Biology and Chemistry Technical Assistant Duties Overview:
This position is responsible for maintaining the technical operations of selected instrumentation as well as setting up Biology and/or Chemistry labs on a semester-by-semester basis. The technician will be working semi-independently on tasks related to the Scanning Electron Microscope and the lab courses assigned; the technician will be under the direct supervision of the lab manager.
Physics Laboratory Technician Duties Overview: This position manages the laboratory facilities in the Department of Mathematics & Physics, including the daily equipment set ups and take downs required for student laboratories and classroom demonstrations. Additionally, this position is responsible for the acquisition, storage, repair, upkeep, inventory and tracking of laboratory equipment and supplies as well as the organization, management and upkeep of equipment in storage and the facilities used for equipment storage.
Biology and Chemistry Technical Assistant Responsibilities
- Responsible for operating selected instrumentation including maintaining technical operations, assisting staff, faculty and students with projects, and providing demonstrations.
- For courses assigned, responsible for setup of lab exercises and clean up of materials and equipment that was set out in lab and/or prep areas.
- Prepare course-related laboratory materials, solutions and reagents. This includes dispensing, replacement and disposal.
- Prepare and test solutions (“dry-run labs”), and ready and test equipment to be used in lab.
- Demonstrate operation of a variety of laboratory and instructional equipment.
- Receive, shelve and maintain inventory of ordered instrument-related and course-related supplies.
- Maintain various records related to instrument use and assigned lab courses.
- Follow and enforce health and safety protocols.
- Other duties as assigned on a semester-by-semester basis.
Physics Laboratory Technician Responsibilities
- Set up and take down equipment used in student laboratories and special classroom demonstrations in non-laboratory course components, as requested by faculty.
- Assist in the development of lab and class demonstration equipment, as requested by faculty.
- Manage the physics department equipment, including:
- Maintaining a complete and current inventory of physics department equipment.
- Developing a tracking-system for physics department equipment in use.
- Correlating equipment inventory with equipment required for lower division labs and making recommendations each semester to the Faculty Lab & Storeroom Manager for new equipment that should be acquired and obsolete equipment that should be disposed.
- Maintaining laboratory equipment in good working order by making repairs as appropriate or outsourcing equipment for repairs.
- Manage the physics storeroom and laboratory facilities, including:
- Labeling and cleaning storage areas and equipment in the storeroom and lab area.
- Evaluating and managing the layout of the storeroom facilities to maximize storage and provide space for student projects and demonstration set ups.
- Plan for future space requirements and make recommendations to Faculty Lab & Storeroom Manager regarding shelf, cabinet and furniture needs.
- Regularly assess safety issues related to physics storage facilities and equipment use and make appropriate recommendations to the Faculty Lab & Storeroom Manager.
- Ensure that the area around the physics storeroom and laboratory facilities is clean, neat and attractive to our students and the casual visitor.
- Train and supervise student workers in setting up and taking down regularly scheduled labs, including handling paperwork associated with student workers and developing written policies as needed.